by Tierney Bricker | Tue., Jul. 30, 2019 3:00 AM
It absolutely was the film 10 years when you look at the making—in more ways than one.
Nine years after Pretty girl made Julia Roberts a star and switched Richard Gere into certainly one of Hollywood’s many sought-after leading men, the iconic pair that is on-screen reunited in Runaway Bride.
Released on July 30, 1999, Roberts and Gere yet again teamed up along with their Pretty Woman manager Garry Marshall, whom died in 2016, for the romantic-comedy about a little city woman so scared of dedication that she actually is dashed through the altar 3 x therefore the jaded divorced magazine columnist determined to see her run for a fourth time. Obviously, they fall in love.
Fans sprinted towards the movie movie theater to start to see the pair’s chemistry, making Runaway Bride, which have been in the works for over ten years with several other a-listers connected to star sooner or later, a larger blockbuster hit than Pretty girl, that has been released in 1990.
But simply it was more successful, as Runaway Bride failed to captivate critics (earning just a 46 percent fresh on Rotten Tomatoes) and even had one of its stars later admitting it just didn’t capture the magic of their previous film because it made more money than Pretty Woman doesn’t mean. (Plus, one of Roberts’ other iconic rom-coms—Notting Hill—came out simply weeks before.)
Nevertheless, compliment of Roberts and Gere’s effortless charm and charisma—both separately and combined—and Marshall’s knack for the genre, Runaway Bride has guaranteed an area as you of Hollywood’s many suffering intimate comedies, whether or not it absolutely was almost never made along with a different ending at one point.
Through the A-listers which were initially expected to star into the movie in 1991 to Roberts’ very own experience being a bride that is runaway listed below are 20 enjoyable facts you will possibly not learn about Runaway Bride.
1. Although the concept seemed tailor-made for Gere and Roberts to own their Pretty Woman followup, Runaway Bride ended up being really into the works well with over ten years, with numerous other famous actors set to try out the fighting bride-to-be (times four) and cynical journalist.
First up? In 1992, Geena Davis and Harrison Ford had been set to guide the nude russian brides film, nonetheless it dropped aside once the director that is first in had problems with the script. Within the next years that are few movie stars like Michael Douglas, Demi Moore, Ellen DeGeneres and Mel Gibson had been all within the mix.
2. However in 1996, Sandra Bullock ended up being thinking about playing Maggie and urged the task ahead. Until she then had some hesitations—much like Maggie along with her suitors—and had been away, with Ben Affleck and Tea Leoni in speaks to take control, utilizing the studio liking the basic notion of a more youthful few. But once Affleck passed, one of several producers made a decision to approach Gere.
3. While he adored the script, Gere had one condition the studio had to fulfill before he finalized on to try out Ike: «Whenever you can get Julia, i am in.» Roberts, that has initially been uncertain associated with movie whenever she read a past form of the script years prior, made a decision to take another appearance. And following a call along with her old Pretty lady leading man, the film movie movie stars were prepared to reunite.
«People happen hoping to get them right straight back together for nine years,» studio producer Tom Rosenberg told The LA days. «And unexpectedly it happened—it ended up being all settled in per week.»
4. The next call ended up being one Gere and Roberts would need to make together, while they had to pursue their Pretty Woman manager to really make the reunion formally complete by directing their love tale yet again. There was clearly one hitch however, as Marshall had guaranteed to simply simply take their spouse to Australia for a vacation that is much-needed.
«They said, ‘Get off the telephone, you want to speak to your wife,» Marshall recalled towards the book. «They shared with her things such as, ‘ just How usually do we get to be able to repeat this?’ and, ‘we will just just take excellent care of him,’ therefore finally I stated, ‘OK, we’ll do so.’»
5. The trio’s shared history made shooting Runaway Bride a fairly stress-free experience for the trio, with Marshall noting a modification of their main character, now armed with a decade of expertise on sets sufficient reason for stardom.
«Richard have been really careful on Pretty girl, but this time around he had been a many more happy to be funny,» the manager stated. «Mostly we talked inside our very very own small shorthand. All I experienced to complete had been yell ‘Action’ and ‘Shut up.’»
6. The movie’s budget soared to $70 million, an unusually high number for a romantic comedy after getting A-listers Roberts and Gere on board. As well as gross that is back-end the movie, Roberts received $17 million on her behalf dashes through the altar, while Gere pocketed $12 million. The movie stars proved worthy of the big paydays, as Runaway Bride exposed at # 1 in the field workplace, attracting a week-end total of approximately $35 million, undoubtedly the opening that is best ever for a Roberts movie at that time.
7. While Runaway Bride went on to gross over $150 million domestically (and $300 million all over the world), becoming a blockbuster hit, it received lower than stellar reviews, with Gere later on searching straight back in the film in an meeting with Entertainment Weekly and admitting, «Whatever that miracle was at the very first film, you cannot make that take place. While there is some wonderful material in the film, it surely don’t have the miracle associated with the very first one. The expectation it was likely to have that exact same form of delicious secret ended up being reckless. It absolutely was a unique movie, it absolutely was a various time, she was at a new destination, I happened to be in yet another destination.»
8. Production descended upon the tiny town of Berlin, Md., making it the fictional and quirky Hale, Md. for the film, and place near to $1 million in to the economy that is local upped the true property market and nearly doubling tourism after the movie’s launch.
«We have been totally astonished,» Berlin’s then Chamber president told The Baltimore Sun of this impact the movie had around town of simply 3,000 individuals. «the film ended up being the Midas touch that introduced our city to many people. It place us in the map.»
9. When known as «America’s Coolest Small Town» by Budget Travel, hosting the Roberts-Gere automobile continues to be a spot of pride for Berlin, because of the town holding a Runaway Bride thirty days in August to commemorate the anniversary that is 20th.
«People also come in in addition they like to hear, ‘Hey do you receive to meet up Richard Gere? what is Julia Roberts like? Can the house is seen by us? Where had been the bridal shop?’» Ivy Wells, Economic and Community developing Director of Berlin, stated. «We thought guess what happens, we are going to provide the individuals whatever they want and so they desire to commemorate the film so we are planning to take action up for the twentieth anniversary.»